NeaCera® Product Specification
Download the NeaCera® Product Specification here as a PDF file.
SECTION 074300 TERRA COTTA WALL PANELS
PART 1 – GENERAL
A. Work Included: The Work of this Section shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Extruded Solid Clay (Terra-cotta) Panels.
- Aluminum Support Profiles and Joint Inserts.
- Aluminum Horizontal Sub-construction.
- Aluminum Wall Brackets, if required.
- Aluminum Extruded Trim and related accessories.
- Stainless Steel Anchors and Fasteners.
B. Related Sections:
- Section 03300 – Cast-in-Place Concrete.
- Section 05120 – Structural Steel.
- Section 05500 – Metal Fabrications.
- Section 06100 – Rough Carpentry.
- Section 07210 – Building Insulation.
- Section 07250 – Weather Barriers.
- Section 07600 – Flashing and Sheet Metal.
- Section 07841 – Fire Stop Systems.
- Section 07900 – Joint Sealers.
- Section 08925 – Glazed Aluminum Curtain Walls and Sloped Glazing.
A. NeaCera® Terra-cotta Rainscreen Panels featuring Lift & Lock Technology with integrated aluminum Support Profiles with mated Joint Inserts, horizontal sub-construction, and wall brackets as required. The Terra-cotta panels are extruded solid wall design with rear reinforcing ribs that also serve as the panel hanging mechanism. As a result, you can easily Lift & Lock the panels onto the Support Profiles. The Support Profiles are fastened to a horizontal sub-construction that is anchored to the exterior wall assembly. The Support Profiles include a Joint Insert to align the panels and resist movement. The sub-construction can either be fixed or adjustable to accommodate panelized or irregular wall construction.
B. All Terra-cotta panels shall be fired to 2,192 ° F (1,200 ° C) to ensure high strength and durability.
C. Lifetime “Graffiti Protection” is included in all Matt and Satin finishes. Natural finishes excluded.
D. The wall assembly shall be installed to allow for the following:
- Movements within the structure.
- To fit within the space allotted as shown on the plans.
E. The panels shall have a Joint Insert between each horizontally adjacent panel that will perform the following functions:
- Align panels horizontally and maintain a uniform joint dimension.
- Prevent the panels from rattling in gusty wind conditions.
- Provide a drainage channel for condensation and bulk water infiltration.
F. Performance Criteria:
Strength: The panels will be fabricated to withstand loadings indicated on plans, but not less than the following minimum loadings.
- Wind: Uniform pressure of 40 PSF inward and outward wind pressures.
Condensation: Panels shall accommodate positive drainage for moisture entering or condensation occurring within panel system.
The plans indicate the panel sizes, style, finish and dimensional requirements of the exterior wall assembly required. With no less than 10 days prior to the bid, exterior wall components by other manufacturers may be considered, provided deviations in dimensions and profiles are minor and do not change the design concept as solely judged by the Architect.
A. General: Fabricate and install components (specifically related to the system described herein) so that the completed exterior wall assembly will withstand live loads, the inward and outward pressures specified, and loads stipulated by the plans for this Project.
The wall assembly shall have a design load of positive and negative pressures up to 40 PSF.
Deflections within the assembly are to be limited to L/240 or less when tested in accordance ASTM E330 for positive and negative pressures and as required to prevent cracking or damage to panel facing.
The exterior wall assembly shall be installed to meet all specified performance requirements of ASTM E330. Where performance requirements result in more than one load or pressure, the load or pressure that produces the greatest stress shall govern.
All vertical members, horizontal sub-construction components, bearing constructions, reinforcements, etc., must be determined within a structural evaluation suited to the respective building project and taking into consideration the building height, exposure and the wind loads.
B. Movement: Fabricate and install components to withstand building and thermal movements including loading deflections, temperature change without buckling, distortion, joint failure, or undue stress on assembly components, anchors or permanent deformation to outward force. Provide for thermal movement over an ambient temperature range of 120 ° F. and a surface temperature range of 180 ° F.
A. Shop Drawings: Complete shop drawings shall be submitted for approval prior to fabrication, including elevations and sections of each condition. Such drawings shall also include metal thickness, finish, methods of installation, anchorage, and joints.
B. Product Data: The latest published literature describing each product selection.
C. Samples: Submit 3 sets of the following samples in the selected finish and color for Architectural approval.
- Each panel finish, color and style required, at least 24 square inches.
- 12 inches long by full profile sample of each type of aluminum framing Support Profile and Joint Insert..
A. Performance Test Standards: Provide exterior wall assembly that has been tested and certified to provide specified resistance to air and water infiltration when installed as indicated and when tested in accordance with AAMA 501, “Methods of Tests for Exterior Walls.”
B. Dimensional Tolerances - NeaCera® Panels:
- Length 400mm - 1600mm - 1.0mm
- Height 150mm - 400mm +/-2.0mm
- Thickness 26mm +/- 1.5mm
- Evenness Max 0.7% of Height
- Top Edge Bending Max 0.25%
- Butt Edge Bending Max 0.25%
- Right Angle Max 2.0mm
C. Structural: Provide components that have been tested in accordance with ASTM E330 at a design pressure of 40 psf without permanent deformation or failures of structural members.
D. Qualifications: Terra-cotta rainscreen panels shall be manufactured by a factory experienced in manufacturing products that are similar to those indicated for this project and has a record of successful in-service performance. The factory shall be ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certified.
E. Qualifications of Installers:
- The cladding installer shall have a minimum of 3 years experience in the installation of exterior wall assemblies..
- For actual installation of cladding, use only competent and skilled mechanics completely familiar with the product and the current recommended methods of installation.
F. Source Responsibility:
- The NeaCera® Terra-cotta Rainscreen Panels, Support Profiles with mated Joint Inserts shall be provided by: (excluding sub-construction and fasteners)
Avenere Cladding LLC, or its independent sub-dealers
2801 Sisson Street
Baltimore, MD 21211-2902
G. Mock-Up: At the Owner’s expense, a completely assembled, typical wall area installed with all related accessories, will be provided designed to verify the performance criteria, and represent the design as shown on the architectural drawings.
- Extent of mock-up shall be the same as that which will be provided in the final work.
- Mock-up shall be installed simulating actual construction conditions, including actual structural supports and connections. Use means, methods and techniques proposed for final installation.
- Locate mock-up in location as directed by the Architect.
- Personnel assembling mock-up shall be the same personnel that will perform the actual final units of work at the project site.
A. Pre-Installation Conference: Prior to start of cladding work, and at the General Contractor’s direction, meet at site and review installation procedures and coordinate with other work. Meeting shall include the General Contractor, Architect, Installer and subcontractors whose work must be coordinated with cladding work.
B. Installer shall examine parts of the supporting structure and conditions under which cladding work is to be installed.
C. Notify Contractor in writing of conditions found to be detrimental to proper and timely completion of work.
D. Do not proceed until unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected in a manner acceptable to Installer.
A. Provide adequate equipment or cover to protect materials and work completed or in progress.
A. Deliver exterior wall system components packaged to adequately protect materials from damage during shipment.
B. Protect components from adverse job conditions prior to installation.
C. Protect components from other trades after installation.
D. Stack exterior wall assembly components on platforms or pallets, covered with tarpaulins or other suitable ventilated covering. Store components so that water accumulations will drain freely.
- Do not store exterior wall assembly components in contact with other materials that might cause staining, surface damage, or other deleterious effect.
A. The Terra-cotta panels of this Section shall be free of manufacturing defects for a period of up to 30 years from the date of delivery in accordance with the standard product warranty issued for the Project..
B. The installation labor of this Section to be free of workmanship defects for a period of 1 year from date of Substantial Completion.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
A. Subject to compliance with requirements, installer offering exterior wall assemblies that may be incorporated in the work include the following:
Enter Company Name and Address
A. Subject to compliance with requirements, the exterior wall panels that may be incorporated in the work include the following: NeaCera® Terra-cotta Rainscreen Panels
Avenere Cladding LLC, or its independent sub-dealers
2801 Sisson Street
Baltimore, MD 21211-2902
A. Solid Clay (Terra-cotta) NeaCera® Panel Units complying with the following requirements:
- Finish: (insert desired panel finish – Matt or Satin)
- Style: (insert desired panel style – flat-classic, grooved, pilaster, vented, striped)
- Size: (insert desired panel size)
- Thickness: (insert desired panel thickness - 22 mm (7/8”), 26 mm (1”) with a single-wall design; 34 mm (1-5/16”) with a double-wall design; as shown in the drawings)
- Additional panels in a minimum amount of 5% are recommended to avoid installation interruptions due to breakage or field conditions.
B. ADS Support Profiles:
- Supplied in accordance with the latest recommendations to maintain a water-resistant installation.
- No sealants, gaskets or other materials that can deteriorate over time or may be flammable may be incorporated into the assembly.
- The Joint Inserts of the Adaptive System (ADS) will be black unless otherwise specified (other colors available upon request).
- Panels must be capable of Lift & Lock, easy and fast installation.
- The replacement of damaged panels, particularly in the middle sections, must be possible using simple methods and should not require special tools.
- The Support Profiles must be fastened to the horizontal aluminum sub-construction in order to maintain structural integrity and performance.
- All sub-construction components shall be constructed of aluminum.
C. I- Frame Sub-Construction (Optional)
- Provide (insert desired depth of I-Frame:1”, 2”, or 3”) continuous aluminum I- Frames as shown on plans.
- Securely fasten aluminum horizontal I-Framing to structure using specified stainless steel fasteners.
- Locate I-Frames at 24” o.c. horizontally to support insulation when specified.
D. ADS Bracket and Horizontal Sub-girt, (Optional Alternate to I-Frame Sub-Construction)
- Securely fasten ADS Bracket to structure using specified stainless steel fasteners.
- The horizontal sub-girts must be fastened to the wall brackets in order to maintain structural integrity and performance.
- ADS Brackets will allow adjustment up to +/- one inch in the depth.
- Supplied in accordance with latest product recommendations to meet load requirements specified.
- Must be stainless steel for compatibility purposes.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. Establish lines, level and shim as required.
B. Do not install broken, chipped or cracked panels.
A. Install sufficient anchorage devices to securely and rigidly fasten
sub-construction to building, and Support Profiles to sub-construction. All fasteners to be concealed.
B. Install Joint Inserts into Support Profiles and then Lift & Lock Terra-cotta panels onto Support Profiles.
- Place Terra-cotta panel units in accordance with lines and levels indicated, in strict accordance with latest product instructions.
- Care should be taken to prevent damage to Terra-cotta panels.
- Install system to allow adequate clearances around perimeter and to enable proper installation and allow for thermal movement.
C. Ensure assembly is plumb, level and free of twist; maintain dimensional tolerances and alignment with adjacent work.
D. Allow moisture entering joints and condensation occurring within cavity to drain to exterior.
E. Set Terra-cotta panels in stack bond unless otherwise indicated.
F. Tolerance: Accurately align and locate components to column lines and floor levels; adjust work to conform to following tolerances.
- Plumb: 1/8” in 10’-0’’; ¼” in 20’-0”; non-cumulative.
- Level: 1/8” in 10’-0”; ¼” in 20’-0”; non-cumulative.
- Alignment: limit offset to 1/8” where surfaces are flush or less than ½” out of flush, and separated by less than 2” (by reveal or protruding work); otherwise limit offsets to 1/8”.
- Location: 3/8” maximum deviation from measured theoretical location (any member, and location).
G. Built-In Work:
- As work progresses, build in anchor bolts, flashing and other items supplied by other trades.
- Install items plumb and true.
- Do not build in organic materials subject to rot or deterioration.
H. Cutting: When field cutting is undertaken, care shall be exercised to ensure that burrs do not remain on exposed surfaces.
A. Clean soiled surfaces using materials that will not harm Terra-cotta panels or adjacent materials.
B. Consult Terra-cotta panel supplier for acceptable cleaners. Use non-metallic tools in cleaning operations.
C. Upon completion of installation, remove protective coatings or coverings and clean aluminum surfaces, exercising care to avoid damage of finish.
D. Remove excess sealant compounds, dirt or other foreign substances.
E. Remove and replace Terra-cotta panels that are broken, chipped, cracked, abraded or damaged during construction period. Re-install in accordance with the latest product instructions.
END OF SECTION